Wednesday, October 8, 2008

State Fair of Texas


We played hooky yesterday and went to the state fair. On Tuesday you can get in for $3 with a Dr P can so we took advantage of the great deal and the beautiful weather. The girls stayed home with Grana and Grandad. It was nice just having a little break from them for a day. Oh, the experience of the state fair. Don't get me wrong. I love it, but it a is truly a once a year thing, thank God.

We started the day off with the rides. Gary and I took turns with the rides and it was a good thing because these rides are not really cut out my adults.

Gary and Z on the big slide and the roller coaster


Me and Z on the Crazy Mouse
(and yes, it was super crazy, whipping us around)


I am getting too old for this crap.


Can't go to the fair without riding the big Ferris Wheel


Sites from the Ferris Wheel

Dallas Skyline


Cotton Bowl


The Midway


Then it was off to the Butterfly Garden where the Monarch migration is in full swing. They stop here on their way to Mexico and we were surrounded by them.



Then we saw Big Texas and the Car Show
where we saw the coolest robot interacting with the crowd, answering questions.


And it wouldn't be the fair without a little livestock


I didn't get pictures of Z playing a game and winning a bear. He actually popped a balloon!

Plus, the food...Oh heavenly fair food. The winner of the best taste award this year was Chicken Fried Bacon. Yes, here in Texas we deep fry everything to make it goood. And I do mean everything; Coke, Latte, Banana Splits, Jelly Bellys, Pineapple, Honey Buns, Dinner Rolls, Pop Rocks, and S'mores. Oh the S'mores...I have no words for the gooey goodness of fried s'mores. We always have to try something new. I tried the S'mores, Gary tried the Banana Split and Z tried the Jelly Bellys. Mine was by far the best choice. Of course then we have to get the old traditional treats like roasted corn on the cob, carmel apples, tornado tatters, fresh squeezed lemonade, and cotton candy. I also tried fried cheese on a stick this year. Think corny dog with cheese instead of the dog. Yuuummmm.

We had a great time! Then it was home to recover from our excitement.



Sara

7 comments:

Rachael Schirano \\ Rachael Schirano Photography said...

oh yay, how fun!

monica said...

I love going to the fair also but agree glad it only comes around once a year! Sounds like you guys had a great time!

The Wilsons said...

Yummy! The food sounds heavenly!! Here is Wisconsin we have fried cheese curds...one of my favorite indulgences!

Anonymous said...

Ohhh! I'm so very jealous of y'all! If you can believe it....I'm ashamed to admit that I have never been to the Texas State Fair.....I know, revoke my TX citizenship....however, I have been to the Arkansas State Fair....and it was an experience to never forget. Let's just leave it at that....Arkansas. State..Fair.

Sara said...

LOL Nikki! I can just imagine the sights at that fair Ha!

Harris Boys said...

what a fun time out...we have a fair similar that comes to town..I loved going as a small kid!!

Debz said...

oh my popeye!! that IS a big ferris wheel! how cool that you guys got to spend a day alone with Z.

have your ever had chocolate covered bacon - i saw it on the food network and think it looks good but wanna find a guinea pig first (lol)