Monday, June 23, 2008

2 days to go!!

Wow, I can't believe in two days I will actually get to see my two girls!! Yay!!

As promised, I will share what happened at our first peri appointment. Olivia gave us quite a scare.

The tech took all the measurements, but she paid a lot of attention to the back of Baby B's neck. If I would have done my research before we went in I would have known that was not good. So in comes the peri. Let me pause to describe the guy to you. Travel back in time with me for a bit to an old Friends episode. You know their cranky neighbor that lived under them that first season? He looked like that. Stringy gray hair all over and seriously, he acted like he was stoned. He spoke slowly and in circles the whole time.

Ok, back to the story.
He said that the Nucal Fold on the back of Baby B's neck was thicker than normal and this raised some flags. It could be heart problems, or Downs, or other things. He started spouting off stuff about an amnio being necessary. Pause again for me to say that unless someone knocks me out first and I don't get a choice in the matter, I will never have an amnio!! Period!!

When we would ask a question he would say, "Well, since there's two in there, we can't be 100% sure of anything." Are you 100% sure you are not high right now?? Hmm?? This was about the time that my hormones were raging like crazy and I wanted to go off on him, completely go ape sh!t on him. He suggested a blood test but said that..."since there are twins in there" the results will show flags again.

So here we are sitting there terrified out of our minds, thinking we have a baby with something seriously wrong. That baby is like 5 inches long at this point, but something is already wrong with it. I finally had the good sense to ask him how often they find something like this and everything is completely normal. He grimaced and shook his head like he was trying to pull a statistic out of his muddled with drugs brain. My heart just stopped because I could just tell that it wouldn't be good. He finally said, "Most of the time."

MOST OF THE TIME!! Ok, let me get this straight. You are telling me that most of the time when this is found everything turns out fine?? And you didn't lead with that piece of news?? WTH?? Are you freakin' kidding me?? I know they have to tell you the reality of what could be, but let's lead with positive news, dude!!

We ended up switching peris and it was the best decision we could have made. They double-checked her measurements and everything was fine. It was a terrifying several weeks though, where I had to deal with my emotions and convince Gary that I was NOT having an amnio, no way, no how. I came close to just running away to Florida. Thankfully, everything turned out fine. Olivia is fine. We even hold our breath at every appointment, but there have never been any other signs of anything being wrong.

OK, some positive thoughts:
I think one of our girls will have brown hair and one will have red hair. Gary thinks that Olivia will have the dark hair because we can see in the ultrasounds that Olivia has hair. And when was the last time you saw a head full of red hair at birth. We'll see!!

No comments: