Thursday, July 3, 2008

The Happy Birth Story First

We checked in on Wednesday at 8:30. I was having pretty steady contractions by that time. They put me in a tiny pre-op room and hooked me all up with my IV. My OB came in to tell me that he had another set of twins in labor so we would have to play it all by ear.

We went to the OR around 10:20. I got my spinal, which wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. It felt really strange and I had jolts all down my legs, but overall wasn't bad. By the time I straightened up, I was going numb. They got started and I felt the tugging I knew from my first c-section. They tugged and tugged. I was just starting to worry when they said they were having trouble going through my scar tissue from my last c-section. He said he was really having to chisel his way through. After about 20 mins (!) they finally said that they were at the babies.

At 11:14 a.m. Abigail Suzanne arrived. They showed her to me very briefly bc she was not breathing. She looked pretty blue. Then at 11:15, Olivia Ann was pulled out. My dr had to go after her because she jerked away from him at first :-) I have to say that as soon as they pulled them out, even though I couldn't "feel" it I felt such a huge relief! I mean, an instant weight lifted. I was like "Ahhhh!"

Olivia was doing well and crying right away. She weighed in at 6lbs 2oz, 17 inches long. They worked on Abigail for awhile. She was breathing but not really well, so she went to the NICU for oxygen for about an hour. They weighed her there and she weighed 6lbs 8oz and was 19 inches long. This totally shocked us, because Abigail always measured weighing less, but here she was, our little chubby cheeked thing, bigger than Olivia. Oliva had some glucose issues so she had to go on the the nursery and stay there for awhile.

They sewed me all up and we went to post-op. I don't remember a lot about how I felt that night. I remember wanting to get my catheder out and them getting it and my spinal out.The next morning, they let me sleep past my scheduled pain meds time and I was in serious serious pain. Like crying pain. I was so disappointed because I just knew that my 2nd c-section would be better than my first, but it wasn't. I was in pain pretty much all day until my nurse talked me into getting a suppository. I felt SOOOOO much better after I went to the bathroom.

We had the girls go to the nursery during the night on Thursday and Friday for us to get sleep. I felt a lot better on Friday and Saturday. I could really tell a difference between my last c-section and the second one by this time. We came home on Saturday and then we all know that I headed back in to the hospital on Sunday.


Harris Boys said...

what awesome glad to hear mom and babies are doing well! I've been thinking about you

Deb said...

i am so happy you are home. i was sooooo worried about you all. hugs and kisses to each and everyone of you. :-)